The Long-term Fellowship is a 2-year, non-degree fulltime program offered on a competitive basis to Ugandan nationals with a Master’s degree in Public Health, Medicine, Nursing, Monitoring and Evaluation, Maternal and Child Health or any other health-related disciplines. Potential applicants should have at least 3 years’ working experience in health programming, with at least one year’s working experience in their field of specialization.
This Fellowship is largely field-based with the field component accounting for 75% of the 2-year Fellowship duration while the remaining 25% is dedicated to the academic component which is offered at MakSPH. Each year, up to ten Fellowships are awarded. Because of its full-time nature, potential Fellows should obtain leave from their employers prior to participation.
The Long-term Fellowship Program has two (2) components: the academic (short courses) and field components. The training is primarily through the field-based apprenticeship component. The academic component, which comprises multidisciplinary short courses offered at MakSPH, accounts for 25% of the 2-year Fellowship.
The field component accounts for 75% of the Fellowship period. The field placement is at a Host Institution, which is an institution involved in health service delivery, information dissemination or policy formulation, working in any part of Uganda.
Priority for host institution selection is given to organizations that have the ability to provide the fellow with a training opportunity in any area of program management as well as mentor to guide and supervise the Fellow.
Each Fellow is assigned an academic and host mentor for purposes of academic and professional growth. The academic mentor is a member of staff or any academician associated with MakSPH whose role is to guide and support the Fellow in attaining the academic objectives of the Fellowship through regular interaction and supervisory visits. The Academic Mentor guides the Fellow in academic experiences both at the MakSPH and at the Host institution through regular interaction and supervisory visits.
The host institution mentor guides and supervises the Fellow during field attachment by providing an enabling environment for the Fellow to learn and share ideas with staff at the host institution. The host mentors are the main persons with whom the Fellow has day-to-day contact and are charged with the overall responsibility of assisting them to attain maximum benefit from their Fellowship experience. The Host Mentor guides and supervises the Fellow during field attachment.
Fellows implement a programmatic activity as part of their training. The programmatic activity is any program activity that the Fellow engages in at the host institution in fulfillment of the requirements of the Fellowship Program. The programmatic activity can be research or non-research, and should be implemented during the Fellowship period.
The Fellowship Program facilitates long-term Fellows to conduct selected programmatic activities at their assigned host institutions. The choice of the programmatic activity must be guided by the host institution program needs as well as the Fellow’s interests and the ability to produce desirable results within the Fellowship period.